In the realm of maintenance, especially in the technical world of industrial machinery, the products we use hold paramount importance.
In recent years, there has been a significant and commendable shift towards eco-friendly and biodegradable solutions. This transition isn’t merely a nod to environmental consciousness; it’s the embodiment of the global responsibility to look after our planet. And among the front lines of this transformative change are natural degreasers.
As industries and commercial sectors increasingly recognise the value of sustainability, the role of natural degreasers has never been more vital.
Understanding Natural Degreasers
In our journey to find the best products for industrial and machinery maintenance, natural degreasers stand out from the rest. But what exactly makes a degreaser “natural”?
At the heart of it, a natural degreaser is derived primarily from organic and environmentally-conscious sources. These aren’t just trendy words we throw around, either; these benefits carry real weight:
- Environmentally-friendly: Using degreasers created with natural ingredients contributes toward our collective responsibility to protect our planet.
- Safer for Health: Unlike many chemical counterparts, natural degreasers ensure that while our machines are running smoothly, we’re also keeping the importance of our health and well-being at the forefront of our operations.
- Highly Effective: Despite their gentle nature, natural degreasers are robust in breaking down all the grease and grim you don’t want clogging up your industrial machinery.
- Perfect for Sensitive Areas: If you’re working in a place where chemical residues spell trouble, natural degreasers have you covered. They take a gentler approach to cleaning that ensures no problematic residues are left behind.
Types of Degreasers
Diving deeper into the world of degreasers, we can categorise them into distinct types, each serving a unique purpose:
- Natural vs. Chemical-based Degreasers: While chemical degreasers can be potent, natural cleaners are kinder to our environment and are often just as effective, both in mundane applications such as kitchen grease remover tasks, and industrial settings where maintenance is key.
- Liquid vs. Aerosol Forms: Whether you prefer your degreaser in a spray bottle for those hard-to-reach places or in a liquid form for larger applications, at Lanotec we’ve got something for everyone.
- Speciality Degreasers: Tailored for specific surfaces and needs, from heavy machinery to any greasy area in your workshop, speciality degreasers are designed to target and eliminate stubborn grime.
Best Practices for Using Natural Degreasers
When it comes to using natural degreasers, we want to ensure that not only are they effective, but they’re used in the safest and most efficient way possible.
Here are some guidelines and recommendations to keep in mind:
- Storing Your Degreaser: A cool, shaded place is ideal. Just like how we prefer to relax in a cool room on a hot day, our degreasers work best when stored away from direct sunlight.
- Applying Your Degreaser: Whether you’re using a microfiber cloth, a spray bottle, or diving into DIY degreasers, the right application method matters. It’s not just about pouring and scrubbing; it’s about considering the concentration, understanding the surface material, and applying it effectively.
- Safety Comes First: No matter how safe our Lanotec products are, precautions are a must. Always wear gloves. Ensure that the space you’re working in is well-ventilated. And while our products might smell great with their mix of essential oils, always make sure not to ingest them, get them on your skin, and keep them out of reach of children.
Get started with our easy DIY natural degreaser recipe
Machinery maintenance shouldn’t always mean a trip to the store for speciality products. Sometimes, the best solutions are crafted from simple household ingredients. With a bit of elbow grease and a few staples, you can create an effective eco-friendly degreaser right in your own home.
Let’s guide you through our tried-and-true DIY machinery degreaser recipe:
- Baking soda
- Castile soap
- White vinegar
- Baking Soda Base: Start by pouring a generous amount of baking soda into a mixing bowl. Baking soda is an incredible natural abrasive that helps break down tough grease stains without being too harsh on machinery surfaces.
- Add Castile Soap: Pour in a few drops of liquid castile soap. This soap is gentle yet effective, providing a cleaning boost while ensuring no residues are left behind.
- Mix in White Vinegar: Slowly add white vinegar to the mixture. Don’t be surprised if you see some fizz; it’s just the baking soda reacting with the vinegar. This combination amplifies the degreasing power, making your DIY solution potent against stubborn grime.
- Combine to Form a Paste: Stir all the ingredients until they form a consistent paste. If it’s too thick, you can add a tad more vinegar; if too runny, sprinkle in a bit more baking soda.
Using a cloth or sponge, apply the mixture to the greasy area of your machinery. Let it sit for 5–10 minutes to work its magic. Afterwards, simply wipe clean using a damp cloth to reveal a grease-free and shining surface.
Remember, when dealing with machinery, always ensure it’s powered down and unplugged before cleaning. Safety first!
General Process for Degreasing
- Assess the type and extent of grease or contamination.
Before diving into the degreasing process, it’s crucial for us to first understand what we’re up against. By gauging the type and extent of the contamination, we can effectively determine the best approach to tackle it.
- Choose the appropriate degreaser type and form.
There are various cleaning products out there, but not all are created equal. Depending on the machinery and the degree of grease resent, you might want to opt for something as intense as a specialised degreaser – or something as simple as a mix of warm water, dish soap, and a few drops of essential oil.
- Pre-treat or soak if required.
For those stubborn areas with heavy grease, a pre-soak might be in order. This allows the degreaser to penetrate deeply, ensuring an easier cleaning process.
- Apply degreaser, ensuring thorough coverage.
Whether you’re using a cloth or simply spray the solution onto the machinery, it’s vital to ensure the entire greasy area is covered.
- Allow to sit for optimal time.
Patience is key. Let the degreaser work its magic. While it’s tempting to scrub right away, waiting ensures that the grease is broken down sufficiently.
- Clean off using appropriate tools.
From soft brushes to specialised machinery wipes, using the right tool ensures that we get every bit of grime off without damaging our equipment.
- Rinse or wipe down as necessary.
A final rinse or a pass with a damp cloth gives that pristine finish, ensuring no residue is left behind.
Need a heavy duty natural degreaser?
When navigating the vast world of industrial maintenance, it’s clear that the role of natural and biodegradable degreasers is not just pivotal, but transformative. They represent the fusion of efficacy with responsibility — a powerful combination in today’s environment-conscious landscape. But beyond the efficacy, there’s an element of safety and trust that comes with informed and effective use, ensuring both our machinery and our planet are cared for.
For over two decades, Lanotec has been a beacon of trust and quality in Australia. We’re not just purveyors of products; we’re advocates for a greener, cleaner, and more effective maintenance approach.
If you’re ready to join this revolution and prioritise both efficiency and the environment, remember we’re here to guide, support, and provide you with unmatched solutions. Let’s make a difference, together.